Thursday, April 4, 2013

What I Know - Part 1: The Priesthood belongs to God

I've been thinking, studying, praying, and talking with people a lot about this series of posts I am writing. These are all things that are very important to me and some have to do with sensitive subjects as of late. With everything that is happening in our country (and the world) lately, I really wanted to express what I know and how I know it. I know many of you will not agree with me, but that's okay. This is what I know.


1. The Priesthood belongs to God.
I have heard several stories and even read articles about how there are LDS women who feel unequal without holding Priesthood. This makes me so sad. It makes me sad that women feel cheated when Heavenly Father has already given us such divine roles, responsibilities, and stewardships. We are equal. Yes, there are several definitions of the word "equal", some mean exactly the same in every way, but that's not what men and women are supposed to be. We are different for a reason. We are physically, emotionally, and spiritually different for a reason. Equal means evenly proportioned or balanced and that's exactly how God made us. Men and women complement each other. Here is a quote from President Spencer W. Kimball that explains it perfectly.

“Men and women are complementary. I have mentioned only a few of the special blessings God gives his daughters in helping them to become like him. His sons have their own special opportunities. And in his wisdom and mercy, our Father made men and women dependent on each other for the full flowering of their potential. Because their natures are somewhat different, they can complement each other; because they are in many ways alike, they can understand each other. Let neither envy the other for their differences; let both discern what is superficial and what is beautifully basic in those differences, and act accordingly. And may the brotherhood of the priesthood and the sisterhood of the Relief Society be a blessing in the lives of all the members of this great Church, as we help each other along the path to perfection.”

Heavenly Father loves all of us. I know that. He would never, ever cheapen the mortal experience of any of His children. He knows what we each need to do, experience, and learn to return to Him. He knows the desires of our hearts, but He also knows what is best for us. Everything is according to His time and His way. That being said, it is His Priesthood. It does not belong to the current prophet, nor the Quorum of the Twelve, nor some committee whose minds can be changed by petitioning to receive the Priesthood. God owns it and will do as He wills with it. "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord." - Isaiah 55:8

I know that God loves us all as His children because He has told me. I have knelt and prayed to know His will and He has made it known to me through the power of the Holy Ghost. I know that if you seek answers that He will give them.

I would also like to refer you to these talks on womanhood:
Womanhood: The Highest Place of Honor by James E. Faust
Women of the Church by Gordon B. Hinckley
Woman--Of Infinite Worth by Russell M. Nelson
Equality through Diversity by M. Russell Ballard


Coming up next--We have a Prophet on earth today.

No comments:

Post a Comment